Monday, September 22, 2008

Leaving "The Roaring Twenties"

In a few short days I will be leaving the twenties and head into a new decade of my life. I've had to wait 30 years to be the same as my birthdate - 30 on 30! I told my sister that I'm leaving the Roaring Twenties and wondered what the Thirties were called. She calmly replied, "The Depression". That made me feel so much better! NOT! My birthdays have always been interesting since I share the day with my mom. What a gift she got on that day! ha ha Anyway, for years we did something special around the time our birthdays. Whether it was hiking the Grand Canyon of PA, visiting Rickett's Glen, walking across Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg, enjoying the scenery of Hyner View, PA (yes, it is called that!), or any other place we went, it was always fun! Most if not all of those trips were with other family members - My Uncle Allen, Aunt Michele, and my cousin Misty, and sometimes a few others. What great memories we have of those days - some of those days were extremely cold, like the day we were at the PA Grand Canyon. We lived in coats and sweatshirts, wrapped up in blankets, and drank lots of hot tea, chocolate, and coffee to stay warm. When we visited Rickett's Glen, it rained most of the day. We didn't mind, we just bundled up and away we went, and went, and went, until we realized that we were probably lost. We took a wild guess on which trail to follow and thankfully it was the right one and we were able to find my parents and finally get in the warm car. Time went on and as I got into the age bracket of early twenties, the trips didn't happen as frequently. Not everything was going smoothly in family relationships, so we didn't go anywhere together for a long time, about nine/ten years. Other's had interest elsewhere and we sporadically went places, not every year as we did before. We broke that mold this year - thank goodness! I had this brainy idea to go somewhere this year, after all, it is my last twenty number that I can claim and I had to celebrate! Our original plan failed. We were going to go to Washington D.C. on a bus trip, but that went down the tubes. Instead we went to Gettysburg. I find it ironic that we went there, seeing as that was the last place we all went together nine years ago. Our day started out at Boyd's Bears. I had been there several times before but my cousin hadn't. It's a beary nice place! After that we went to the Outlets, my mom was looking for a new mixer for her birthday and yes, she found one, thank God! I'm done trying to mix with one beater! She got the real deal this year - a Kitchen Aid with everything she could ever want! We then visited the new visitor's center and what a place that is. It opened this past April and if you ever get a chance to go, you'll enjoy it! You could spend hours going through the new museum. The newly restored Cyclorama will have it's Grand Opening this Saturday. They also have a huge gift/book store and two theaters. The place is incredible! We didn't get to spend much time there, but we are thinking of going back in October and driving the battlefield again. After that, we visited the PA memorial which I think is one of the best that is on the battlefield. Then we went shopping, had a picnic supper, and took an evening train ride. We had a great time! Returned home very tired but that was okay, I wouldn't have wanted it to be any different. Took lots of pictures, but as I said before, dial-up is a mess to try to post something. Such is life! I'm glad summer is officially over! Although I do have to say that one good thing happened this summer - I got my Hawaii scrapbooks finished. Now I have to work on my sister's books. The good thing about that is, I already have a pattern to follow. That's all for now!

4 comments:

REJunod said...

Ron's only a month behind!! We haven't started really dealing with it yet, but will have to soon!! Hope you have a great birthday!!!

Esther

Joe and Alissa said...

Sounds like fun! I haven't been to Gettysburg since we used to go all the time with school. And yes, 30 is fast coming up, isn't it?

Karen Hess said...

Esther, tell my "brother" that I feel his pain about get older! I've always teased him about being older than he is, now I don't know that I like it since he can call me an old lady before I can call him anything! :)

Alissa, thanks for the comment. I've visited your blog a few times when I've had the chance. I'm so busy now, I don't know what I would do if I had kids! :) Gettysburg has changed or maybe it's the fact that being older and realizing what when on there has changed me. Whatever the case, I still like to visit and am looking forward to going again.

REJunod said...

Hey girl, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope your day's a great one!!! I can't tease Ron (or you) too much, because I'm only a few months behind!! Besides, turning 30 can't be too bad, people do it everyday ;) !! Love ya girl!! Have a great one!!!

"Dorothy" aka Esther