Monday, March 2, 2009

One Year Ago - Part 3






















These pictures are in reverse order, I'll have to change that next time around. Also, I know the picture of me is the wrong way, how do I get it to flip the right way? I tried a few different things, but to no avail. I really wasn't lying down in the airport although I might have felt like it at the time! ha ha
The top picture is of our first Hawaiian sunset. Very beautiful! When we got to the hotel (we were on the 15th floor), we freshened up, and then set out for Waikiki Beach which was just across the street. Stopped in at a store for snacks and drinks, then headed for the sand. The next three pictures are of Waikiki. My sister was guarding our bags and taking pictures of us in the water. In the top right hand corner you see a garbage can that they put down in the sand with only the top sticking out. I guess it's to keep the wind from blowing it away. I thought that was unique. Don't ya just love the picture of my feet? Couldn't resist taking that one! The palm tree is one of the first that we saw when exiting the airport. The walkways (for the most part) at the airport are open, only roof-covered, nice breeze that flows while you're walking to the next place. As soon as we exited the plane, we were greeted with kisses and leis and yes, they were real orchids. Made our hotel room smell good! The last picture is of Honolulu as we were descending. If you look closely, the green circular shape near the top of the picture is The Punchbowl Cemetery of the Pacific. It is literally shaped like a punchbowl and we did get to visit it, but more about that later. We were a few of the ones that went to the beach that evening. The senior citizens of the group happily fell into bed. The next morning when we told them that we visited the beach and watched the sunset, they couldn't believe it. But we had been warned not to go to bed too early because it would backfire on us due to the time change. When we first got there, we were five hours behind and halfway through, Daylight Savings Time began but they don't observe it, so it was six hours difference to call home. After being up for over 20 hours and all that flying, we were ready for bed! I had to sleep with my cousin or sister. I started with my cousin, but ended up with my sister about half way through the trip. Now that I look back, I should've put those two together and see who came out alive and kicking!






2 comments:

Down Blueberry Lane said...

That first picture is absolutely beautiful. So where is your next travels going to take you?

Karen Hess said...

Now you know how and why I took approx. 2,000 pictures! We are planning a small trip this year and then Alaska in 2010. Talk about pinching pennies! After that, I have one more state to visit to make it to all 50.

Karen